Membership is PTA’s strength and our voice. We want all of our local PTAs to have the tools they need to increase membership. This year we have two exciting membership challenges for you. Our Membership Marketing Challenge and our Membership Increase Challenge.
Preparation for the Mid-Year Audit that covers all PTA activities from July 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 can mean the difference between a fairly quick audit and a lengthy audit. If the Treasurer and Secretary are organized, then there should be no reason the material cannot be given to the auditor no later than the first week of January. Below is a list of materials to give to your auditor. Check your bylaws for the date the audit report, checklist and findings are presented to the PTA board and association.
Collect all financial books, records and reports from the treasurer, including:
- A copy of the last audit report;
- Current bylaws and standing rules;
- Originals of checkbook register, whether handwritten or computer generated, and canceled checks (including voided checks);
- Originals of bank statements, bank book for each bank or savings account;
- Deposits and supporting documents for the cash receipts;
- Authorizations for payment with attached receipts;
- Itemized statements and receipts of bills paid;
- Monthly Treasurer’s Reports;
- Original treasurer’s books/ledgers including back-up files (external storage device) if books are kept on a computer;
- Financial Report by category for the period of the audit with or without budget comparison;
- Copies of board, executive committee and association minutes, including an adopted budget, any amendments that were approved during the year, approval of expenditures, and ratification of payments;
- Committee reports from chairmen (e.g., fundraising, membership, etc.);
- Any other information requested by the auditor;
- Copy of PTA-required Workers’ Compensation Annual Payroll Report form;
- Copies of all required state and federal report forms if PTA hires employee(s);
- Copies of all required federal report forms if PTA hires independent contractor(s);
- Copies of the most recently filed IRS Form 990;
- Copies of the applicable State Form 199 and RRF-1.